The 21 Strangest Phobias You Probably Didn’t Know Existed
We’ve all heard of Arachnophobia, but have you ever heard of Turophobia, which is the fear of cheese? No? Here’s a list of the strangest but totally true phobias you can share with your mates. Unless you suffer from Share-o-phobia (okay we made that one up).
- Cynophobia – Is the fear of dogs. Poor Fido.
- Astraphobia – The fear of lightning and thunder. If you think back to when you were a kid this is totally understandable because the sky literally sounded like it was falling.
- Mysophobia – Okay, I’m not sure how one functions day to day with this one, but probably with a lot of hand sanitiser. Mysophobia is the fear of germs.
- Trypophobia – The fear of holes. All holes? Does that include nostrils?
- Thanatophobia – This is a bit of a no brainer, the fear of death. We all know people that say they don’t fear the reaper, but we know deep down inside he makes us all a little nervous.
- Monophobia – Numbers 6 and 7 sounds like they could be the beginning of a bad joke. Monophobia is the fear of being alone.
- Gamaphobia – A Monophobe and a Gamaphobe are on a date… You guessed it, the fear of commitment.
- Atychiphobia – I think we can all agree that everyone suffers from a fear of failure to some degree.
- Alektorophobia – A fear of chickens, dead or alive.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia – Yes, we promise. It is the fear of long words. Seems like a bit of a sick joke to us, but if you don’t believe us Google it, and while you are at it you should catch a game of Aussie dollar bingo.
- Basiphobia – Is the fear of falling. Does tripping in public count?
- Ailurophobia – This is the fear of cats, but they can be arseholes, so we get it.
- Globophobia – Is the fear of balloons.
- Coulrophobia – The fear of clowns. Pity the kids who suffer from both 13 and 14.
- Phobophobia – Is the fear of fear. We are not entirely sure how people with this phobia live their lives. How do you deal with the fear of fear, or the fear of fearing fear, or the fear of fearing fearing fear? This really can just go on and on, and on.
- Somniphobia – The fear of sleep. We bet the majority of Phobophobia sufferers suffer from this one too.
- Triskaidekaphobia – Fear of the number 13. Contrary to widespread belief the number 13 is not an unlucky number. It is actually a natural number which follows 12 and precedes 14.
- Koumpounophobia – The fear of buttons. A koumpounophobe will avoid clothing which has buttons, but depending on the severity of the phobia can find it impossible to shop.
- Sociophobia is the fear of being judge by society. You can tell a Sociophobe sufferer from a non-sufferer because they are the odd people you know that refuse to open social media accounts.
- Aerophopia sufferers fear drafts, swallowing air and airborne diseases. They tend to wear face masks in public, so basically all of Asia suffer from this one.
- Panaphobia – The fear of everything, like everything we have all ready listed and then some. Like grass and fresh air and windows?